THE I-CAT FIRE SOLUTIONS LOCAL SUPPRESSION SYSTEM (LSS) WAS DESIGNED TO PROTECT TRANSFORMERS AND ASSOCIATED INFRASTRUCTURE.
Transformer fires have been identified as low-probability, high-impact risks. Once a transformer fire occurs, the impact on the safety of workers, company property and the environment are severe. It is therefore essential to mitigate all fire risks associated with transformers as far as reasonably practical. Due to the high-impact fire risks of transformers, I-CAT has pre-engineered its Localised Suppression System (LSS) for transformers up to 132kV (kilovolt). LSS performance tests were conducted on a full-scale transformer and systems may be scaled for transformers of various sizes. Due to the presence of transformer oil, which is a hydrocarbon, foam mist LSS systems are installed on transformers.
- Minimal water usage pre-determined exclusively for the transformer capacity
- Rapid cooling of the environment and transformer components
- A safe working environment for personnel due to low pressure operation
- Lower installation and maintenance costs due to the functional simplicity of the system
- High system reliability due to the pure pneumatic activation and independence from a power source, when used in conjunction with I-PROTECT linear heat detection tubing
- Fire risks of live electric equipment are mitigated due to the low electrical conductivity of the system
- Fires on transformers in remote areas and locations without water supply can be suppressed
- The system can be connected to any fire alarm system